This first week in Advent has been a lovely frosty one. First real frost's of the season and it makes me so happy! I know that allot of people probably think I'm completely bonkers right now but I am a person who thrives on the seasonal rhythms of the year, so winter should be cold, frosty and hopefully snowy. I am energised and inspired by natures winter beauty.
Today is the start of the meteorological winter calendar although we take the winter solstice as being the official start of winter. As I was capturing this mornings frosty beauty, I started mentally listing all the things I love about winter. If you have been reading my blog for some time you will know that I gain great joy from life's simple things, and this list lists some of those things related to this next season. I think I might do a page in my nature journal, a pictorial list of sorts, of these things that warm my heart.
So here we go:
* Frozen, frosty spiders webs
* The delicate ice crystal formations and intricate patterns formed by hard frosts
* Walks in icy weather that make me catch my breath and make me feel alive
* Hand knits - lots of them. Jumpers, mittens and thick scarves.
* Warm milky drinks
* Candles to light up the dark winter days
* Vapour trails high in the clear winters sky left by aircraft
* Winter coats and boots.
* Cosy nights by the fireside in a warm home
*Stark bare tree branches. They are beautiful stripped bare as they are in full leaf
* The green sprouts of spring bulbs pushing through the earth at the start of winter, a promise of things to come when the dark days get you down.
* Crunching grass under your feet as you walk on frosted ground
* The pavements after a frost as the glitter and sparkle like diamonds.
*The excitement that only comes from watching snow fall from the sky and catching it on your tongue.
* Seeing my bird feeder alive with activity every day
* In December it is Christmas baking, Carols, Christmas Markets, Gatherings with friends and family, Mince Pies, Christmas Cards, Giving, Midnight Mass, Christmas lights, Decorating the home, Cheesy Christmas movies, Wrapping gifts, Planning celebrations, Wreath making, and most importantly Celebrating the birth of our Christ Jesus.
* Winter mists hanging low over the countryside
* Red berries standing out in the stark hedgerows
* Frozen earth, I know that it is resting and recuperating for spring planting.
* Visiting Birds that only visit our British shores during this time of the year.
* Washing the dishes in a sink full of warm, sudsy water, watching the steam gently rise, curl and swirl against the backdrop of an icy world outside.
* Smoke curling up from chimneys
* Afternoons baking and cooking in my Kitchen
* Fogged up window panes.
These are just some of the things that came to mind this morning. What do you enjoy about this magical season?